A rerun of the 1997 Asian Financial Crisis? HSBC's chief economist sees significant similarities

Image
The 1997 Asian financial crisis culminated in recessions in economies throughout the region, amid market turmoil characterized by currency collapse, capital flight and banking failures. Now, Asia's financial environment bears some striking similarities to the period immediately before the crisis, according to HSBC's chief economist Frederick Neumann. Surging U.S. bond yields, a weak Japanese yen and tech optimism dominated the financial environment in the lead-up to the crisis, Neumann wrote in an Aug. 31 note. Neumann highlighted elevated U.S. Treasury yields as a key similarity with the period before the 1997 crisis. U.S. Benchmark 10-year bonds , for example, climbed from 5% in October 1993 to around 8% in November 1994. Even in April 1997, yields were at about 7%, some 200 basis points above where they had been four years prior, Neumann noted. Today, 10-year Treasury bond yields have climbed from a low of 0.5% in August 2020 to around 4.79% early Tuesday. "Granted, th...

Everything I Learned from My Hot Chart Summer, and How My 21 Stocks Picks Have Performed.

Everything I Learned from My Hot Chart Summer, and How My 21 Stocks Picks Have Performed. Rob Isbitts Sun, August 30, 2026 at 6:30 AM PDT 7 min read A red flag sitting atop a mountain by Stock by Hemal via Adobe Stock If you had told me at the beginning of May that I would spend part of my summer scanning thousands of stock charts every morning, writing daily stock analysis, and putting my technical reputation on the line across 21 individual picks, I would have been very skeptical. As a veteran portfolio manager, my career has been defined by viewing the investing world from 30,000 feet. I've spent decades focused on asset allocation, macro risk defense, and helping self-directed investors navigate volatile markets. More News from Barchart Jeff Bezos' Heartfelt Tribute to Dolly Parton Drew Brutal Backlash: 'Nobody Wanted to Hear This From You' He Once Gave Her $100 Million for Charity Intel vs. AMD: Why the Market Share Number Is Misleading A $100 Billion Buildout In Louisiana Is Planned for Starship. What This Means for SPCX Stock. Get exclusive insights with the FREE Barchart Brief newsletter. Subscribe now for quick, incisive midday market analysis you won't find anywhere else. I am, at my core, a portfolio constructor. In fact, when people ask me what I do for a living, I occasionally respond "I'm in construction." If they follow up and ask what type of construction, I take off my proverbial hard hat and explain: I construct investment portfolios. Exchange-traded funds (ETFs) are the lead players in that work, which is why the majority of my writing for Barchart relates to that type of analysis, truth-telling and myth-busting. With me, stock picking is a side dish, not the main course. Writing a daily column in a specific layout, as straightforward and consistent as that is, tends to be seen as binary. That is, you're either right or wrong. That's not how I have rolled in the decades I managed other people's money. In real-world portfolio construction, single-ticker decisions are all just one piece of a bigger puzzle referred to as a portfolio. That's why constructing, not picking, is the world I'm more accustomed to. I've learned over time that the former is both a lost art and distant concept for many DIY investors. I hope to change that, one investor at a time, perhaps. Yet when I agreed to step in for Jim Van Meerten as the guest columnist behind Barchart's "Chart of the Day " newsletter for two separate stints, I treated it as a logistical challenge and an exercise to really hone in on applying my technical analysis chops to individual securities. And by doing so, try to help anyone who reads those articles. Now that the dust has settled on those 21 guest columns I authored, I could not help but look back at the performance of my picks through Wednesday, Aug. 19. I intentionally waited a couple of months to write this, and only...

🔥 EXCLUSIVE PARTNER OFFER
Baseus EP10 Pro ANC Earbuds Wireless Bluetooth 6.0 Earphones 50dB Realtime Adaptive Headphones 6 Mic Hi-Res LDAC IP55 Ear buds

Baseus EP10 Pro ANC Earbuds Wireless Bluetooth 6.0 Earphones 50dB Realtime Adaptive Headphones 6 Mic Hi-Res LDAC IP55 Ear buds

Special Price

💎 Exclusive offer! The product everyone is talking about is now at a special price.

Affiliate link — Commission earned at no extra cost to you

© EcoNews DZ — Global Economic & Financial News

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Xi wants China to boost demand. Why isn’t it working?

'I didn't speak the Queen's English': Why people worry about their accents

The world’s most influential economist is oddly unconvincing